First Lady Elizabeth Bloomer Ford.Painting by Felix De Cossio, 1977.The White House Historical Association (White House Collection).
(April 8, 1918 – July 8, 2011),
Elizabeth Ann Bloomer Warren Ford better known as Betty Ford, besides being the First Lady of the United States from 1974 to 1977 was just a very classy lady. From Studio 54 to the world political arena, she spoke like nobody else, she spoke what she believed, she was brave, she fought for equal rights, she had breast cancer and talked about it, she founded the Betty Ford Center, an Alcohol Addiction and Drug Addiction Treatment hospital located in the luxurious resort community of Rancho Mirage, California. http://www.bettyfordcenter.com . She did a lot and she made a difference, I admired her and I will continue to do so, below are some of the favorites quotes by this great lady. In a few hours in California, a Memorial Service in her honor will take place, and I am sending my positives vibes that direction.
* You never know what you can do until you have to do it.
* Martha Graham shaped my whole life. She gave me the ability to stand up to all the things I had to go through, with much more courage than I would have had without her.
* Not my power, but the power of the position, a power which could be used to help.
* I’ve learned a lot about myself. Most of it is all right. When I add up the pluses and subtract the minuses, I still come out pretty well.
* I figured, okay, I’ll move to the White House, do the best I can, and if they don’t like it, they can kick me out. But they can’t make me be somebody I’m not. (About becoming First Lady at Nixon’s resignation)
* I was an ordinary woman who was called onstage at an extraordinary time. I was no different once I became first lady than I had been before. But, through an accident of history, I had become interesting to people.
Betty Ford with glamorous friends at Studio 54 when the club used to be the center of the universe
photo by the great photographer and my darling friend Dustin Pittman
by Gazelle Paulo